Glass & Ceramics
ULS Advantages for Laser Material Processing of Glass and Ceramics
Universal Laser Systems provides several unique benefits for glass and ceramic laser engraving and marking. These benefits include the following:
Flexible and Adaptable Engraving and Marking is achieved due to Rapid Reconfiguration™ technology allowing the ideal laser power to be used for glass and ceramic laser engraving and marking. Rapid Reconfiguration also allows the laser wavelength and power to be changed easily to accommodate different materials. A CO2 laser is recommended for glass and ceramic laser engraving and for glass marking, as well as for marking certain ceramics like Aluminum Silicate. A Fiber laser is recommended for laser marking certain ceramics like Zirconia. In each case, at least 40 watts is recommended for high quality engraving and marking. Both quality and speed can be increased with a high laser power. Better photo quality can be achieved with 1 Touch Laser Photo™.
High Detail Engraving and Marking can be achieved even with the standard 2.0 lens because the proprietary pulse control of lasers built by ULS. Very fine detail can be achieved with HPDFO™, which provides the smallest laser spot size available (0.0001" or 25 microns).
Easier to Use and Less Material Waste due to the Intelligent Materials Database that is proprietary to Universal Laser Systems. The Intelligent Materials Database has engraving settings for most glass and ceramic materials.
The ULS advantages that deliver these benefits include the following:
- Lasers - Our lasers employ a unique pulse control mechanism that provides the most consistent laser engraving and marking possible.
- Rapid Reconfiguration™ - Allows the user to quickly install the proper laser power for each laser engraving and marking process.
- SuperSpeed™ - Patented option that more than doubles the speed for laser engraving for certain applications.
- Intelligent Materials Database - Proprietary software that is provided with every Universal Laser System and provides laser process settings for hundreds of materials, including most types of glass and ceramics.
- High Power Density Focusing Optics (HPDFO™) - Patented optics that provide the smallest laser spot sized available for detailed laser engraving and marking.
- Gas Assist - Provides optics protection and helps remove glass and ceramic particles during laser engraving.
- Class 4 Module - Converts the laser system to true class 4 operation for safe handling of materials that do not fit completely inside the platform.
- Universal Air Filtration Unit - Removes glass and ceramic particles from exhaust air to ensure a healthy and safe environment.
- 1 Touch Laser Photo™ - This proprietary software transforms any digital photograph into a file that can be used to laser mark glass and ceramic materials with a photographic image.
- Rotary Fixture - Enables laser processing of cylindrical glass and ceramic shapes. The ULS rotary holds the material at both ends so that shapes that are not perfect cylinders can also be processed.
Read more in Laser Material Processing