ULS Advantages for Laser Material Processing of Metals
Universal Laser Systems provides several unique benefits for metal laser engraving, cutting, and marking. These benefits include the following:
Flexible and Adaptable Marking is achieved due to Rapid Reconfiguration™ technology, allowing the ideal laser wavelength and power to be used for each laser marking method. Rapid Reconfiguration also allows the laser wavelength and power to be changed easily to accommodate different materials. A Fiber laser is usually recommended for direct metal marking. Alternatively, a CO2 laser can be used in combination with HPDFO™ for direct metal marking. The CO2 laser is also used with standard lenses for indirect metal marking.
Better Cut Quality can be achieved due to better control of the beam motion and better laser pulse control coupled with gas assist and either a flow-through cutting table or a pin table.
High Detail Engraving can be achieved even with the standard 2.0 lens because the proprietary pulse control of lasers built by ULS. Very fine detail can be achieved with HPDFO™, and better photo quality can be achieved with 1-Touch Laser Photo™.
Easier to Use and Less Material Waste due to the Intelligent Materials Database that is proprietary to Universal Laser Systems. The Intelligent Materials Database has engraving and marking settings for most metals and automatically calculates settings for cutting based on the metal type and thickness.
The ULS advantages that deliver these benefits include the following:
- Rapid Reconfiguration™ - Allows the user to quickly install the proper laser power for each cutting and engraving process.
- SuperSpeed™ - Patented option that more than doubles the speed for laser marking for certain applications.
- Intelligent Materials Database - Proprietary software that is provided with every Universal Laser System and provides laser process settings for hundreds of materials, including most metals. The Intelligent Materials Database not only calculates the precise laser process settings for the type of metal being processed, it also automatically adjusts for the thickness of the metal.
- High Power Density Focusing Optics (HPDFO™) - Patented optics that provide the smallest laser spot sized available for detailed laser marking.
- Gas Assist - Provides optics protection and helps remove molten metal during laser cutting and engraving.
- Flow-through Cutting Table - Pulls air through the cut, keeping the edges clean and free of debris.
- Class 4 Module - Converts the laser system to true class 4 operation for safe handling of materials that do not fit completely inside the platform.
- Universal Air Filtration Unit - Removes particles and gaseous effluent from exhaust air to ensure a healthy and safe environment.
- 1 Touch Laser Photo™ - This proprietary software transforms any digital photograph into a file that can be used to laser mark metal with a photographic image.
- Universal Camera Registration - Allows cut paths to be accurately aligned with existing features on the material.
- Rotary Fixture - Enables laser processing of cylindrical metal shapes. The ULS rotary holds the material at both ends so that shapes that are not perfect cylinders can also be processed.
- Lasers - Lasers manufactured by ULS employ a unique pulse control mechanism that provides the most consistent laser marking possible.
Read more in Laser Material Processing