ULS Advantages for Laser Material Processing of Composite Materials
Universal Laser Systems provides several unique benefits for composite materials laser cutting, engraving, and marking. These benefits include the following:
Better Cut Quality can be achieved due to better control of the beam motion and better laser pulse control coupled with gas assist and either a flow-through cutting table or a pin table. MultiWave HybridTM technology combines two or more laser beam wavelengths to enable cutting of composites that are comprised of both organic and inorganic materials.
High Speed Engraving and Marking can be achieved with adequate power and SuperSpeedTM. ULS lasers are made for high speed pulsing for the highest engraving quality even at high or full speed.
Easier to Use and Less Material Waste due to the Intelligent Materials Database that is proprietary to Universal Laser Systems. The Intelligent Materials Database has engraving and marking settings for most composites and automatically calculates settings for cutting based on the material type and thickness.
More Material Flexibility/Adaptability due to Rapid ReconfigurationTM technology allowing the ideal laser to be used for every composite laser cutting, engraving, and marking application. Rapid Reconfiguration also allows the laser wavelength and power to be changed easily to accommodate different materials. The Intelligent Materials Database calculates specific settings for different composite types. Advanced 3D control is built in to every ULS laser cutting, engraving and marking machine. Larger materials can be accommodated using the Class 4 Conversion Module. Camera Registration allows cut paths to be accurately aligned to existing features on the material.
The ULS advantages that deliver these benefits include the following:
- Lasers - Lasers manufactured by ULS employ a unique pulse control mechanism that provides the most consistent laser engraving and marking possible.
- Rapid Reconfiguration™ - Allows the user to quickly install the proper laser power for each cutting, engraving, and marking process.
- MultiWave HybridTM Technology - Patented technology that combines two or more laser beam wavelengths to enable laser processing of composites that are comprised of both inorganic and organic components.
- SuperSpeed™ - Patented option that more than doubles the speed for laser engraving and marking for certain applications.
- Intelligent Materials Database - Proprietary software that is provided with every ULS system and provides laser process settings for hundreds of materials, including most composites. The Intelligent Materials Database not only calculates the precise laser process settings for the type of composite being processed, but also automatically adjusts for the thickness of the composite.
- High Power Density Focusing Optics (HPDFO™) - Patented optics that provide the smallest laser spot sized available for detailed laser engraving and marking.
- Gas Assist - Provides optics protection and helps keep the composite surface remain clean during laser processing.
- Flow-through Cutting Table - Pulls air through the cut, keeping the edges clean and free of debris.
- Pin Table - Suspends material on pins to eliminate back reflections from the cutting table.
- Class 4 Module - Converts the laser system to true class 4 operation for safe handling of materials that do not fit completely inside the platform.
- Universal Air Filtration Unit - Removes particles and gaseous effluent from exhaust air to ensure a healthy and safe environment.
- 1 Touch Laser Photo™ - This proprietary software transforms any digital photograph into a file that can be used to laser engrave or mark composites with a photographic image.
- 3D Mode - Regulates the intensity of laser pulses to the gray scale of the graphic to enable deep 3D engraving. This capability is part of the Universal Control Panel and Laser System Manager software.
- Rotary Fixture – Enables laser processing of cylindrical composite shapes. The ULS rotary holds the material at both ends so that shapes that are not perfect cylinders can also be processed.
Read more in Laser Material Processing